2.12.2010

Wall Paper: a second chance

Someone asked me the other day what I thought about wallpaper. My first reaction is.... I love it! For those of you going... HUH? This may be what you have in mind when you think of wall paper.


But it doesn't have to be that way. In fact, wallpaper has come a long way in design, material and application. I really think wallpaper got it's bad name because it was not exactly easy to get off the wall, and a lot of wallpaper stuck around much longer than it should have. (That lovely ivy border around your mom's kitchen. yikes!) Remember wallpaper should be temporary. Wallpaper is meant to be a permanent fixture in your home, but rather a fun way to add life and visual interest to a room for a season. I believe that wallpaper manufactures are now producing higher quality paper which leads to a better application and an easier removal. Notice I said easiER, not easy. I am not making any promises here. (That's my disclaimer. haha.)

Anyway, I found a bunch of rooms that I thought really showcase wallpaper. Remember, when choosing a wallpaper keep quality in mind. It will make a difference in the end.

I especially like this one. It is so subtle and it  really brings a calming element to the room.





In this example take a look at the texture the paper adds to the room.









I thought this could be a clever idea to showcase wallpaper. Use it as a form of art work.





I liked the whimsical feel the paper created in this children's play room.


What a bunch of color.


While looking for examples, I stumbled across this fun idea. In this case fabric is used, but it could very well be wallpaper too.

2 comments:

Mama Cas said...

I like the textured wallpaper, simply because it can be removed. If you texture and paint a wall, the texture is there permanently (unless you're willing to sand it down or replace the wall). Other than that, I'm still scarred by the hideous dark-green-striped-flowered wall paper that was in our master bedroom when we moved in. I shudder just thinking about it.

Kristi Williams said...

I really like the purple and orange room. Keep a look out for studio design ideas for me. I want large photos on the wall and vibrant colors. And of course, it has to be a Jessica Myers creation.